11. If you have to take apart your furniture before moving, you should keep the screws and bolts organized to make reassembling easier. When you take apart a piece of furniture, put the screws and bolts in a baggie and label the bag. You can also tape the baggie to the piece of furniture that it goes with.
12. If your seasonal items are not already in plastic storage bins, now is a great time to do so. When you get to the new home, you can take these items right to the basement, attic, or garage. This includes holiday decorations, sporting equipment, and anything else that needs to be stored until use.
13. If you need to cover wall hangings, mirrors, or televisions, you don’t need to pay for packing materials. Blankets and towels work great and you won’t need to worry about boxing or bagging these items. Smaller things like socks and washcloths can also be used as packing materials for dishes and other breakables.
14. When packing up cleaning products and other liquids, they should be packed separately in a plastic bin. If the liquids spill, they won’t be able to spill on anything during the move and the plastic bin will keep the spill maintained.
15. When moving your coolers, you should load them up with the items from your refrigerator and freezer. It is a great way to keep your things cold during the move and it will keep you from wasting your moving boxes.
16. When packing your knives, store them in your oven mitts. This will keep you and the people who work for the service from being injured.
17. When packing up your pans, use rubber bands to hold the lids on. This will make unpacking easier. You can also use your pans to pack up spices, silverware, and other kitchen items. If the covers are secured with elastic bands, the items packed inside won’t fall out.
18. Use clean trash bins, laundry baskets, and suitcases as boxes. They need to be moved to the new home, so why not fill them with items. When you do this, you will need fewer boxes.
19. Keep your important documents such as Social Security cards, birth certificates, and insurance policies in your car during the move. It would be a huge hassle if these things got lost in the move.
20. Create a list of all of the boxes that are going to be moved. Give each box its own name, such as kitchen 1, kitchen 2, bedroom 1, bedroom 2 so that you can take a complete inventory after everything has been brought to the new house.